Posts tagged NIAAA

Recovery Glam!

(Smooch to Sunny!)

“A Sober Living Center in Williamsburg, Brooklyn,” published in the “Fashion and Style” section of the New York Times:

“Did you hear what he said today?” one man in his 20s wearily asked another, who just shook his head.

Lots of people have been talking about Mr. Sheen, but perhaps not with the same insight as this group, all residents of Loft 107, a sober-living facility in an inconspicuous former warehouse in the heart of Brooklyn’s most self-consciously cool neighborhood.

Opened in 2009 by Joe Schrank, a 41-year-old social worker and longtime promoter of drug and alcohol recovery, the Loft, as it is known, is a high-end facility for people who have already gone through the isolation of rehabilitation and want an intermediate step back into their regular lives. For the duration of residents’ stay (there is a 30-day minimum, but some have remained for as long as a year), the Loft provides structure, community and random drug and alcohol testing to help keep recovering addicts on the wagon.

It’s also pretty plush. Continue reading Recovery Glam!

Female Alcoholics, CBT, and some other weird stuff

Here’s an article about how Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is a promising approach to treating alcoholic women, as opposed to AA. There’s some interesting stuff in there, like this:

Epstein, the principal investigator, has studied this topic at the University since 1989 with co-principal investigator and former University researcher Barbara McCrady, but with couples. She started specifically focusing this summer on alcoholic women who seek group cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), which is skills-based treatment for alcohol use disorders.

“What we found with the couples, with the women, if the woman has a supportive partner who’s willing to come in and do the treatment with her, it’s a good therapy,” Epstein said.

Many women do not have a partner, their partner does not want to come with them or they do not want their partner in treatment with them, she said.

“We wanted to develop a treatment that incorporated social support, but not relying on the spouse for support, because so many women don’t want that option or have that option,” Epstein said.

Their CBT treatments give patients specialized, individualized skills to remain sober, prevent relapse and learn other coping mechanisms for life’s issues. Epstein said those with alcohol use disorder often experience a funneling effect — their life focuses completely around alcohol.

And there’s some weird stuff in there, like this:

Women who abuse alcohol drink more than seven standard drinks — five ounces of wine, one 12-ounce beer or one-and-a-half ounces of hard liquor — a week, according to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism.

and this:

There has been an increased popularity in CBT therapy instead of the traditional Alcoholics Anonymous, peer-support, 12-step program over the past decade, Epstein said.

“One of the problems with AA over the years is it’s not very flexible to accommodate individual differences among people, so about 40 percent of people who go to AA like it and do well there. The other 60 percent generally don’t do as well and there were not many alternatives for them,” she said.

How Alcoholics Anonymous Lies With Front Groups: Project MATCH and Hazelden

Project MATCH, which stands for Matching Alcoholism Treatments to Client Heterogeneity, is the largest and most expensive ($27 million) multi-site clinical trial of different forms of rehab treatment to date. The idea of the study was to determine the effectiveness of matching specific forms of treatment to the individual characteristics of the patients. Three forms of treatment were studied: Twelve-Step Facilitation Therapy (TSF), Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and Motivational Enhancement Therapy (MET). The finding of the study showed a positive result for all three groups, including TSF. Here is the original press release from the NIH. So, the study validated the hypothesis, and all was right with the world for those advocates of AA and the 12-Step approach.

Continue reading How Alcoholics Anonymous Lies With Front Groups: Project MATCH and Hazelden