AA Is Being Sued by Parents of Murder Victim

h/t AntiDenial:

Parents Accuse AA of Harboring a Predator

LOS ANGELES (CN) – Grieving parents say in court that their daughter was murdered by her sociopathic addict boyfriend because Alcoholics Anonymous concealed his history of domestic violence. Eric Allen Earle allegedly strangled 31-year-old Karla Brada to death on Aug. 31, 2011, after Brada asked him to move out of her condo in Santa Clarita. After the murder, Earle reportedly spent the night sleeping next to Brada and called the authorities when he found her unresponsive in the morning.

Read more…

15 Responses to 'AA Is Being Sued by Parents of Murder Victim'

1. massive says:

What a sad, sad story. We were trying to make things safer (Jan20090 Dec 2010) when this happened. AA members in LA are and were such assholes. Only a small group wanted to make things safer. AA will shrink to 1/10it;s current size over the next 5 years.

2. Steve says:

This is big. I hope her parents are successful in their lawsuit. So AA World Services have declined to comment..hmmm. I hope they don’t get to weasel out of this and have to defend these allegations in court and it is well publicised and the wider public can see how unaccountable and full of shit they actually are. For a while I have thought that the the only way the 12 step hoax will be exposed is through legal channels. Similar to the way in which the Catholic Church has had to confront its history of shielding sex offenders.

3. AntiDenial says:

This needs to get lots of exposure. It will help expose AA World Services for the irresponsible business that they are. My heart goes out to the family of Karla Brada.
    So many people start out so happy their loved one is in AA, just to get this sick feeling when reality sinks in what a predator harboring bunch they really are. So many discover too late.

4. Susan says:

It will be interesting to watch, but I doubt anything comes of it.

• massive says:

Susan- REALLY? you said …but I doubt anything comes of it.

How does it feel to be a naysayer with a murder. WHat if it was your child who was murdered by a person they met in AA and had a sponsor that coerced you to put $7,000. on your credit card to get the man out of jail < eric, who just beat you up, then he killed her. Why didnt the sponosrs tell her to say the F#####away from him? Are you the kind of AA women who says to newcomer women "what's your part in it" ? . You are one of the reasons I left AA. You and women and men in AA who don't back up the victims have a serious part in all the 13 stepping and all the crimes that are covered up in AA including sexual harassment. That is violating our civil rights . How bout coming into this century or are you stuck in the 1950's …

• Susan says:

I am sorry, Massive, but I don’t think they will win for a number of reasons. I am not saying that it isn’t tragic and that it never should have happened. I wish it hadn’t. Best of luck to them.

5. Counselorchick says:

I am so frustrated today. For the past couple of weeks, I have been attempting to get anyone…anyone involved in Karla’s life and her case to speak to me so that I can write an article about this horrible tragedy. I have left messages with AAWS…no return call. I have left notes with everyone who is on Karla’s message board in facebook. I have attempted to contact Karla’s parents…nothing. I have left messages for Karla’s parents lawyer – Patricia Barry and have not heard back. As you al her know, AA is not safe.
    Apparently there is a hearing for Eric tomorrow somewhere in Santa Clarita which is about an 1 1/2 hour drive from me. In contacting the courthouse, they will not give me specifics as to when any one hearing will take place. I have asked on Karla’s Hope facebook page for someone to please tell me when this hearing is. If I have to cancel my appointments tomorrow to make it. I will…but I need to know when to be there. Needless to say, this has been a frustrating research experience. If I must, I will write the article on the difficulties to get anyone to talk about Karla’s case. I understand her parents and family not wanting to compromise the case by talking to me…but even her friends have not responded to my many attempts to interview them. If people are not willing to come forward and tell the truth, the truth will remain hidden and AA will continue to be complicit in these crimes.
    Thanks for listening to me vent. Let Go and Let Doorknob. Fucking crazy shit!

6. mywordlikefire says:

And sorry didn’t know where else to leave link.

7. Mumon says:

So glad this blog is back!

8. Z says:

Wow! Welcome back!

9. CJ says:

Wow, how sad. There is NO accountability in AA whatsoever. I have never, in my life, met so many enablers as I did at AA. No one called anyone out. AA’s lie for one another and cover shit up for one another. So, although this is so tragic, I’m not at all surprised by the circumstances.

10. counselorchick says:

It’s not looking good, as for the lawsuit. Any documents that would prove AAWS has a duty of care in their governing documents are not available. They may have some but lawyers are not willing to demand them only to find out there is nothing usable there. It’s very depressing.